WHAT it’s about: Glitter, drugs and glam rock n’ roll. Or more specifically, the highly internalized investigation one journalist (Arthur Stuart) takes on to get to the heart of those things, by way of a memorial on Brian Slade, a faux glitter pop rock icon whose mysterious mid-concert murder may not have happened at all. And whose deliciously destructive love affair with fellow stereotype-smashing badass, Curt Wild, may have totally inspired Arthur’s sexual awakening!
WHO’s in it: Christian Bale (Arthur Stuart), Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Brian Slade) and Ewan McGregor (Curt Wild). Also, Toni Collette and Eddie Izzard.
WHEN it came out: November 1998
HOW come you haven’t heard of (or just seen) it before: With its explicit man-on-man action, non-linear storyline and fabulously fantastical musical interludes, it’s certainly not everyone’s cup of laced tea. Although it received one Academy Award (Costume Design) nomination and praise from the gay community, its unique atmosphere tragically turned off most of the movie-going public.
WHY you need to watch it – immediately!..
- To remind yourself, once again, how ridiculously professional Christian Bale and his constantly evolving (and devolving!) body of work really are. This character is the exact opposite of his drug and attention addicted character in The Fighter – shy, uncomfortable in his own skin and more than a little sexually confused.
- It’s basically a hallucinogenic, music history lesson with overwrought dystopic undertones. Think Across the Universe, with better songs (sorry Beatlemaniacs!) and honest-to-goodness homoeroticism.
- The soundtrack is pitch perfect. Featuring actual tracks from the period (Brian Eno, Gary Glitter, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Lou Reed) mixed in with instantly-addictive songs created exclusively for Brian and Curt (which evoke the same, sassy sex vibe), it’s a glam rock lover’s wet dream.
- Rhys Meyers and McGregor actually sing their parts. And they sound way hot-and-heavy.
- Their characters re obviously based on David Bowie and Iggy Pop – futuristic man whore make-up, reckless nudity and all!
- Did I mention that they have a wild, unadulterated affair with each other? And that it’s ORGASMICALLY good.
- CASE IN POINT (NSFPeopleWhoDon’tDigMusicalFellatio)….