Each week, the Filles bring you some of our favourite films finds of the week – news, reviews, features, interviews, tweets, new releases, etc. – just in case you missed them.
REEL GREAT READS
- ‘Drive’ locations: Refn’s film shows grittier sides of L.A. (24 Frames, Los Angeles Times) Yes, yes we all loved Drive. But have you visited all the gross locales the Gos killed people in during it? Now you can, thanks to this informative little piece, complete with a star-marked map!
- Long lost Hitchcock film takes bow in Los Angeles (Los Angeles Times) Cinephiles from the City of Angels got a first look at a recently-found Hitchcock reject, The White Shadow, on Thursday. Apparently it’s not that amazing, more like Hitch’s “student film,” but we still can’t help but be super jealous.
- How Total Recall saved Toronto’s film industry (Toronto Star) – Okay this isn’t so much a great read, but it’s great news for our city. This piece details, in numbers of people employed and money made, just how much of an impact having a major, major movie filmed on our streets has had on the local filmmaking industry. Sure, we’ll all make fun of this Arnold Schwarzenegger remake/Colin Farrell vehicle when it comes out, but if it brings back our movie biz, we’ll feel really bad about it.
- Moneyball: Are you a sucker for sports dramas? How about Brad Pitt? Highly calculated gambling? This overly advertised baseball flick doesn’t look like a total heavy hitter, but I’m sure it’s got at least a few fly balls up its sleeve.
- Bridesmaids (DVD): You probably already saw this three times in theatres, but we have a feeling it will play even better at home, when you can invite your future ladies (or men) in waiting over and really get into the repeated use of Wilson Phillips. And if you haven’t seen it, it’s about time you got on it. At least for small talk’s sake.
TRAILER OF THE WEEK: J. Edgar