Each week, the Filles bring you some of our favourite films finds of the week—news, reviews, features, interviews, tweets, new releases, etc.—just in case you missed them.
REEL GREAT READS
- The 13 Best Recent Indie Horror Movies to Watch at Home on Halloween (IndieWire) – If you’re still looking for more Forgotten Frights, we recommend IndieWire’s picks, covering some of our own faves plus others.
- Why do horror filmmakers lose their edge as they age? (A.V. Club) – This piece ponders why horror heavyweights like Craven, Carpenter and Romero’s most recent films pale next to their earlier work. (And let’s just say we find it hard to disagree.)
- Like The Best Zombies, VHS Just Won’t Die (The New York Times) – A fresh perspective amid the booming 3D and HQ age: VHS still has an aesthetic edge in the horror genre.
- 9 Movies That Prove Shakespeare Is Cool (NextMovie) – With Anonymous out this week, NextMovie reminds us of other amazing Shakespeare-inspired films. Because let me tell you, Shakespeare is cool.
Photo: Peter Mountain
- The Rum Diary – Johnny Depp takes on another role as famed-journo Hunter S. Thompson. Needless to say, it looks insanely surreal.
- Martha Marcy May Marlene – One of our fave films at TIFF this year about a girl making her way out of a cult. And it stars the only Olsen sister who can act.
TRAILER OF THE WEEK: ParaNorman
A zombie-apocalypse horror for kids? Cool.