Each week, the Filles bring you some of our favourite films finds of the week—news, reviews, features, interviews, tweets, new releases, etc.—just in case you missed them.
REEL GREAT READS
- Gender inequality still has a starring role in Hollywood, USC study finds (Los Angeles Times) – This must-read piece talks of research that confirms our worst fears: gender stereotyping still has a huge hand in Hollywood and the production of most major features. (For one terribly disheartening example, only 32.8% of speaking roles in the 100 biggest blockbusters of 2009 went to women.) At the same time, it confirms one of our main beliefs and driving forces for creating this blog: women make up more than half of ticket sales.
- The best scenes in the worst movies(A.V. Club) – As anyone who has read our Terribly Awesome! column knows, we love terrible movies just as much as great ones, at least when you can find unintentional humour in them. This week, the peeps at the A.V. Club look into scenes that save otherwise shitty movies.
- Kristen Wiig: Bro of the Year (GQ via Jon Hamm) – Although we’re not sure we’re loving the overly sexy photo they chose to go with the story, this short piece about the Bridesmaids star and writer’s immense talent, penned by co-star and the mad man behind Don Draper, Jon Hamm, is a sweet little read.
- A Thanksgiving Typtophantastic Triple Feature (Hello Giggles) – A few festive-themed flicks are served up for our Southern neighbours. Although, we would be remiss if we didn’t point out the exclusion of one of the best underrated turkey day movies, which features Katie Holmes’ one really great performance, Pieces of April.
- A Thanksgiving Film (Feast)-ival (EW) – … speaking of which, be sure to check out EW’s own take on the list, which brings some underrated goodness to the standard Thanksgiving plate.
- OSCAR: Analyzing Foreign Language Race (Deadline) – For subtitled drama and Oscar fans: AwardsLine’s Tim Adler narrows down the foreign language contenders to the nine he thinks have a chance for the final cut.
- New ‘Twilight’ movie reportedly causing seizures (TMZ) -Apparently some people haven’t seen Pulp Fiction or 127 Hours. Or The Miracle of Life. Seriously, the birthing scene is SOFT.
Photo: The Muppets Studio
- The Muppets – Jason Segel wrote and co-stars in this most sensational, inspirational, celebrational and Muppetsational new happy song of a flick, which (rainbow) reconnects Kermit, Piggy and the rest of Jim Henson’s beloved puppets for one last, career-saving show. Not to get all warm and fozzy – I mean, fuzzy! – but it may be the best movie of the year, worth seeing at least three times.
- Hugo – Martin Scorsese, the man responsible for Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, Goodfellas and The Departed, does a 3D, 1930s-set kids movie that, judging from the gorgeous trailers and stellar reviews, looks magical for all ages.
- My Week with Marilyn – Michelle Williams looks stunning as the woman who made subway grates a must-have seduction accessory.
TRAILER OF THE WEEK: Beauty and the Beast 3D
The first animated movie to get an Oscar nod makes like The Lion King, returning to the screen with an added dimension (just think of the ballroom scene!) and a new Tangled short.