BEST IN SHOW
WHAT it’s about: The top dogs (and their perfect pups!) at a nationally-recognized dog show. Directed and written by Christopher Guest, this mockumentary takes the piss out of every stereotypical pet owner you’ve ever known, not to mention the dead seriousness of these competitions.
WHO’S in it: All Guest’s usual guests, including co-writer Eugune Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Parker Posey and Michael McKean. Plus, Jane Lynch, Jennifer Coolidge amd John Michael Higgins.
WHEN it came out: 2000
HOW come you haven’t heard of (or just seen) it: Like the majority of Guest’s straight-faced resume (Waiting for Guffman, For Your Consideration, A Mighty Wind), this film tickles a specific set of funny bones and could be too dry for some people to handle.
WHY you need to watch it–immediately!
- Did you read the cast list? I mean, come on!
- There is a storyline which involves the creation of a faux dog magazine entitled American Bitch.
- One character may have two left feet. Literally.
- The dogs, for the most part, are adorable. And occasionally, their owners are too. But only because they’ve got that Fido-esque accidentally identical thing going on.
- If you have, or have ever had a dog, you will find some of the pet owner idiosyncrasies presented HILARIOUS. See: one scene in which Parker Posey’s character breathlessly searches for an identical bee chew toy at a pet store to no avail. (The dog, of course, doesn’t really care.)
- Fred Willard plays the best aging play-by-play artiste in the world.
- Mockumentaries are like so hot right now! On TV anyways…
- Stifler’s mom and Sue Sylvester play partners…in more ways than one!
- If you’re travelling on Air Canada, apparently it’s now offered as an entertainment option on flights! (That’s where I rewatched it a week or so back!)