DIVINE SECRETS OF THE YA-YA SISTERHOOD
DATE RELEASED: June 7, 2002
DATE WATCHED: March 31, 2012
WHY NOW? For a night in, there’s not much releasing on DVD now that I haven’t already seen or that I have any interest in watching, so I’ve been going through older movies that I’ve always wanted to watch but haven’t had the chance to. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood is always on TV but I never catch it in time.
WHY NOT THEN? As a young teen, I had no interest at all in a movie about a club of older women. What did I know about their issues? Their lives? Their experiences? Better yet, what did I care?
- Older women gossiping about womanly things
- A movie reminiscent of Now and Then
- Some humour that I still might not get
- A movie that was a lot more serious than I thought it would be, though in a good way. It was more than just women gossiping about funny things that had happened to them, but also about really significant moments in their lives, but still a light enough watch.
- A story about friendship as much as about family, and a perfect choice to watch with your mom and sister (as I did).
- Sandra Bullock in one of the better serious(ish) roles I’ve seen in her. I feel like I’ve been wrong about her all along.
- Reminiscence of Now and Then, with beautifully styled flashbacks to the past of cherished memories. But Now and Then is still better.
- Not so much about the actual sisterhood as I had hoped, but more about the relationship between one woman and her daughter. With a great opening scene about the foundations of their friendship, more would have been nicer.
- It’s not as deep as I think it intends to be, but there are only so many directions it can go. Maybe reading the book will fill in the gaps.
ONE NIGHT-IN STAND OR SECOND DATE POTENTIAL?
If it’s on TV, as I’m sure it will be, I might stay for a while. But I’m not going to track it down. Except maybe one day in the distant future when I have a movie night with daughters of my own.