Each week, the Filles bring you some of our favourite films finds of the week—news, reviews, features, interviews, tweets, new releases, etc.—just in case you missed them.
REEL GREAT READS
- 11 Things Horror Movies Have Taught Me! (Bloody Disgusting) – With items like “Being a virgin is a good thing” and “Do your research before buying a house,” this hysterically on-point list will kill horror fans.
- When Defending a Movie Becomes Intellectual Genocide or Why Hating on Haters Makes You a Hater (Film School Rejects) – Robert Fure rants about how both film fans and critics seem to be more focused on calling people dumb for not liking what they like than actually talking about why they like it.
- 15 Female Directors Who Could Direct ‘Catching Fire’ Other Than the Actual Candidates (The Mary Sue) – We know that a man has already been given the job, but we’re still kind of hoping that the producers will change their minds and give a girl a chance to rep our girl, Katniss Everdeen.
- Taylor Swift in tune with Joni Mitchell drama (Variety) – We could drink a case of Swifty’s country pop wine, but watch her play a Canadian folk legend? We’re not so sure.
- /Film previews Universal Studios Hollywood’s ‘Transformers: The Ride’ (/Film) – Take or leave the Michael Bay films out to rust under the heat of faux flames, this sounds kind of awesome.
- The Lucky One – Zac Efron. In a Nicholas Sparks weepie. What more could you want after a big Sunday brunch?
- Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan’s Hope – I saw this charming, Joss Whedon-produced, documentary back at TIFF ’11 and totally nerded out. It follows an assortment of fans and vendors as they attempt to stand out from the rest of the geeks at San Diego’s sci-fi/fantasy/comic book/horror fest. And features cameos from the likes of Seth Rogen, Eli Roth and Kevin Smith!
TRAILER OF THE WEEK: Magic Mike
‘Showgirls’ meets ‘Coyote Ugly,’ but with dudes. A guilty pleasure favourite in the making.