BY MICHELLE MEDFORD
DATE RELEASED: October 2, 2009
DATE WATCHED: December 27, 2012
WHY NOW? I was tired of feeling like a bad horror fanatic. Everyone talks about it and I feel so guilty having to continually (and quietly) confess that I haven’t seen it.
WHY NOT THEN? I dunno. But let me try to figure it out. At the time, I hadn’t seen too many horror comedies I actually liked and I wasn’t too enthused about the genre. Plus, it was pre-Easy A and pre-Social Network, so Emma Stone and Jesse Eisenberg weren’t really on my radar–but Abigail Breslin has been since she was Bo Hess, the cutest kid ever in one of the scariest films ever, Signs.
- Woody Harrelson being too hilarious to handle.
- Ridiculous zombie deaths.
- A new horror-comedy favourite.
WHAT I ACTUALLY GOT…
Let me start with the good:
- An amazing soundtrack, including some of my all-time favourite artists: The Raconteurs (well, the Jack White part), The Black Keys, Metric, Hank Williams and Mozart. (But also includes other great stuff from Kristen Chenoweth on a Wicked track, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, Johann Strauss II, Metallica and more.)
- Pop culture references! Includes: A Charlie Chaplin zombie, a Hannah Montana clarification, a “You don’t know who Willie Nelson is?” bit, an Anaconda memory and Tallahassee’s farewell, “That’ll do, pig.”
- Zombie Bill Murray in Bill Murray’s house, followed by a reenactment of a Ghostbusters scene.
- A nice touch with Columbus’ survival rules: Beware of bathrooms, Check the back seat, and Limber up, to list a few.
Now, the bad:
- More zombie deaths at the very beginning and end of the movie (though very good deaths) than the majority of it. For a movie titled Zombieland, I didn’t appreciate the lack of zombie.
- Not enough laughs, for me. Maybe it just wasn’t my kind of humour.
- Not much going on. I know that’s what it’s about but it was just slow.
ONE NIGHT-IN STAND OR SECOND DATE POTENTIAL?
Maybe only for the Bill Murray sequence. Or a prequel dedicated to Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin’s characters (who doesn’t love a story about sisters kicking ass?), though more about their antics than anything else. Otherwise, see ya later, Zombieland. I love the thought, but it just didn’t work for me.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0fSklnPMAQ]