BY CARMELA FERRO
WHAT it’s about: Al Gore and his effort to educate the public about the severity of the world’s climate crisis.
WHO’s in it: Al Gore (He’s really great!)
WHEN it came out: 2006
HOW come you haven’t heard of (or just seen) it: If you haven’t heard about the climate crisis I just don’t know what to say to you. If you haven’t heard or haven’t seen An Inconvenient Truth, it’s okay, it’s a documentary so it’s not widely distributed. Maybe it’s not your thing, but if you like documentaries and you care about our future this is a great film to see.
WHY you need to watch it–immediately!
- It’s scary, it’s important, it’s real and it’s informative. Al Gore does an incredible job of presenting the science and implications of our actions in an inclusive and simple way to understand. He presents a well-reasoned, proven, intelligent point of view in a funny, warm and engaging way.
- It received 3 standing ovations when it screened at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival.
- The film won the 2007 Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature and Best Original Song for Melissa Etheridge’s “I Need to Wake Up”. It became the first documentary to win 2 Oscars and the first to win best original song.
- The film has grossed over $24 million in the U.S., nearly $26 million in foreign countries and Gore has said that, “100 percent of the profits from the book and the movie are going to a new bipartisan educational campaign to further spread the message about global warming.”
- In July 2007, The Nielsen Company and Oxford University conducted a 47-country Internet survey in which 66% of respondents said they had seen An Inconvenient Truth and that it had “changed their mind” about global warming. 89% said it had made them more aware of the problem and 75% said they had changed some of their habits after seeing the film.
- “Each one of us is a cause of global warming, but each one of us can make choices to change that with the things we buy, the electricity we use, the cars we drive; we can make choices to bring our individual carbon emissions to zero. The solutions are in our hands, we just have to have the determination to make it happen. We have everything that we need to reduce carbon emissions, everything but political will. But in America, the will to act is a renewable resource.” – Al Gore
Other environmental docs to check out: The Carbon Rush, Who Killed The Electric Car, Food Inc., Tapped
Check out this link to watch some great documentaries online, for free.