BY ISA MONTAGNESE
Date released: May 28th, 1993
Date watched: Jan 31st, 2013
Why now? I mentioned to my pal Brandon that I was going to watch a Sylvester Stallone that I had never seen and he suggested this one because “…it isn’t his best known one, and people don’t obsess over it like Rocky and Rambo. But it’s really pretty and wilderness-y”
Why not then? I was 7 guys.
- Horridly cheap effects and sets
- Killer one-liners
- Action scenes for no reason (and every reason!)
- Stallone in all his 90s glory just mumblin’ it up in a tank top
What I actually got:
- Colorado mountains and wintry wilderness! Gorgeous!
- An actually believable plot and characters!
- Dream cast really: John Lithgow as the villain (where he belongs), Merle from The Walking Dead (Michael Rooker) and Derice from Cool Runnings (Leon)!
- I couldn’t get over how pricey the movie looked (location and set-wise) and then IMDB.com informed me that Stallone pitched in a chunk of his own money to fund the movie. Really, you gotta hand it to Stallone, he’s got his niche and he makes it work… and by work I mean, works that tank top (am I right?)
- The badass lady characters! Pilots, climbers, good, bad and all around sassy!
- Not so unbelievable but still hilariously silly moments that every good action movie requires!
One night-in or second date potential?
Brandon: Second date potential! (But really 3rd and 4th date potential.) And don’t forget to mention the awesome Ace Ventura spoof of the opening scene!
Isa: Second date potential for sure! Good action, good suspense, Stallone at his actiony-est, just badass all around! P.S. you MUST watch the trailer. It made me like the movie more.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMnvWGcC9Tk]