BY CARMELA FERRO
WHAT it’s about: The adventures and mishaps of small town Texan high school students on the last day of school in May of 1976.
WHO’s in it: Jason London, Joey Lauren Adams, Milla Jovovich, Rory Cochrane (Argo), Matthew McConaughey, Parker Posey and Ben Affleck. And have fun spotting Renée Zellweger!
WHEN it came out: 1993
HOW come you haven’t heard of (or just seen) it: The film opened pretty low at the box office, but went on to become a cult classic. Many of the leads are relatively unknown, but the film is packed with lots of now-famous faces.
WHY you need to watch it–immediately!
- It is deliciously fun! The film takes place over the course of one night, which makes for an easy watch.
- It will remind you of summer nights, after school is out and you’ve got the next two months to make plans, just roam around at your leisure or throw caution to the wind!
- Amidst all the good vibes, there is a melancholy tone about the painful rites of passage we go through as we grow up, and it makes the film feel nostalgic and triumphant.
- The quotes! Oh, the quotes!
“All I’m saying is that if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life – remind me to kill myself.”
“Man, it’s the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain’t that piece of paper, there’s some other choice they’re gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you get the more rules they’re gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin’ man, L-I-V-I-N.”
- The word man is said 203 times in the film, while fuck is said 59.
- A soundtrack including songs from Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Runaways, KISS, ZZ Top, Bob Dylan, Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper.
- This intro: