BY ISA MONTAGNESE
Date released: November 5th, 2010
Date watched: March 28, 2013
Why now? Out of all the Tyler Perry movies, this one looked the most interesting. I’ve seen Diary of a Mad Black Woman and thought it was good/odd/why is Madea in it? I don’t think I could handle a whole movie with Madea as the lead. This movie has a majorly stacked cast (Whoopi, Janet Jackson, Macy Gray, Loretta Devine, Thandie Newton, Kerry Washington and Mrs. Huxtable) and is based on a legit play so it caught my eye!
Why not then? The only things I know about Tyler Perry are that he’s Oprah’s BFF, has a lot of friends in high places and is now part of the long, distinguished history of grown men dressing like old ladies (I’m looking at you Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence). When this movie came out I thought, “Tyler Perry is getting all serious,” but for some reason never bothered to see it.
- Veeeeeeeeery serious subject matter
- A stellar lady cast
- (A little forced) social commentary
What I actually got:
- HOO! This is a heavy one, guys. Damn. They touch on a lot: abortion, rape, domestic abuse, class separation, death, infertility, suicide, adultery and HIV.
- A stellar lady cast, holy moly. The ladies in this movie are insanely talented. I’m not a fan of a movie all about women written/directed by a man, but this movie doesn’t have a trace of Tyler Perry except his talent for getting big stars together. I can’t really pick out one performance better than another; if you like any of these actors then it’s worth seeing.
- I got a serious message of ladies gotta stick together and most men are the enemy. The original play is from the 70s, which you can tell. A lot of major themes are very 70s feminist-y and a bit dated, not to say they aren’t still relevant, but it’s lacking in some more modern issues.
- This one made me happy to know there are movies like this being made in general, there’s gotta be more diverse stories about diverse people being made!
One night-in or second date potential?
This movie is too sad, too intense, too much for more than a one time deal, otherwise it’ll just keep lecturing you.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihz-ioqwUSo]