BY ISA MONTAGNESE
Date Released: September 19, 1997
Date Watched: April 9, 2013
Why now? I’ve always seen this movie around and to be honest I think I’ve seen maybe one Kim Basinger movie, so why not! Other than that, I knew nothing about this movie going in, which is how I like it.
Why not then? Honestly, there was only one movie on my radar in 1997: Titanic (duh).
- Kim Basinger stoically whispering her way through her lines while wearing awesome stuff.
- A bunch of hard-up cops with slicked back hair.
- That thing you can’t put your finger on about 90’s cop/crime dramas.
What I actually got:
- Much less Kim Basinger stoically whispering her way through her lines while wearing awesome stuff than I thought
- A pretty great style throwback! Don’t you hate it when you can tell what year a movie was made in even if it’s set in another era? Well, this one wasn’t too bad; all the houses, clothes and cars were convincing. My favourite part of this movie might have been watching for all the subtle 50s details.
- Russell Crowe being really not-so-50s and predictably angry. Also, I don’t know who out there thinks he’s handsome but… gross, guys.
- Guy Pierce is someone I always forget about and then am always surprisingly impressed by! He’s so young in this movie and so committed to the character–he’s great!
- Kevin Spacey being the best version of Kevin Spacey. This was for sure right around his peak and he just owns it.
- A good attempt at book-to-movie. Screenwriter Brian Helgeland had a lot to work with and a lot of details to keep track of while trying to create an enjoyable movie. I think he did a pretty good job. I got lost a couple times but overall it was an interesting story.
- A prostitution business that specializes in celebrity look-a-likes? I’m there!
- I enjoyed all the pulpy/throwback/cheesy aspects but to be honest it was a little dull all together. There are so many 90s crime/cop dramas before this one that did it better it makes this one feels a bit forced.
One night-in or second date potential? If this movie was a prostitute business with more Guy Pierce and Kim Basinger and less Russell Crow and James Cromwell’s stupid Irish accent then I’d be all in. But as it is, I can only handle the one try.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4XbnrmbEME]