BY CARMELA FERRO
Scary Movie was a classic start to the over-the-top goofy parody genre of horror films. Scary Movie 2 followed suit and even 3 managed to hold up the laughs. I tried to watch 4 on Netflix the other day and I actually couldn’t sit through 5 minutes of it. I will definitely not be paying to go see 5. The fact of the matter is that the first 3 Scary Movies are terribly awesome and each deserve their own post about their top moments, while the last 2 films I’m just going to assume are terribly terrible. I had a hard time choosing which of the first 3 to profile in all of their terrible awesomeness, but I figured maybe this one went unwatched and deserves a little attention. While it’s a bit more terrible than the first 2, there are some classic moments where Cindy and Brenda are at their best and there are some lines that I will cherish forever.
Why it’s terrible:
- It’s Scary Movie 3, so it’s just innately terrible.
- Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards are in it, so there’s that.
- The aliens.
- It’s bad, there’s no denying it, but if you want some good cheap laughs this will provide.
Why it’s awesome:
- Parodies The Ring, Signs, 8 Mile and The Matrix.
- Anna Faris! She’s so funny, I know she’s typecast for stupid roles, but she delivers and they write her great lines. She can do no wrong in my eyes.
- Pamela Anderson asking Jenny McCarthy’s head if she’s okay.
- Regina Hall kills it as Brenda (pun intended), “Cindy, the TV is leaking!” and my favourite “Now who the fuck did that?!”:
- This. This is so funny. I don’t know why, it just gets me every time!
- Queen Latifah as Aunt Shaneequa/The Oracle.
- Camryn Manheim as the Trooper and the hat that keeps getting bigger.
- Simon Cowell, he’s a good sport.
- Leslie Nielsen as the President, George Carlin as The Architect and Jeremy Piven in the teleprompter scene.
- The rapper cameos! Master P, RZA, Raekwon, Method Man, Redman, Macy Gray, Fat Joe and Ja Rule.