BY ASHLEY KOWALEWSKI
Date Released: November 24, 2004
Date Watched: June 12, 2013
Why Now? For the past couple years I had heard people reference the movie very casually and I was always sort of half-interested in seeing it, and when the opportunity came up to watch a Marc Forster movie (and I’d seen pretty much every other one he’d done), I took the chance to give it a watch.
Why Not Then? I’m not really sure… I guess it just wasn’t on my radar or wasn’t my kind of movie at the age of 16…? That’s not even true. This totally would have been my kind of movie at 16. This must have passed by me like Tinkerbell’s light. I hadn’t really heard about this when it came out–I have no clue how I missed it–and my expectations weren’t that high.
- A very well-directed movie, going based solely on my love for Stranger Than Fiction
- Johnny Depp in some strange costume (the costume being his normal face, of course)
- Some story that had something to do with Peter Pan and Neverland…
…That’s really all I knew going into it.
What I Actually Got:
- Johnny Depp looking suave in some strange costume (the costume being his normal face, of course)
- DUSTIN HOFFMAN–what a pleasant surprise seeing him in another Peter Pan-based flick (though I will contest that his role as Hook still takes the cake)
- Kate Winslet being utter perfection
- A story about the author of Peter Pan and how four fatherless children became his muse for one of the most notoriously magical children’s stories
- A movie about love, family and finding the magic and beauty in everything–and when you can’t see the beauty, you make it up
- A pile of tear-stained tissues sitting next to me as I seriously couldn’t stop crying through the last half of the movie. Had no clue this magical flick would leave me an emotional wreck
One Night In or Second Date Potential:
Second, third, fourth, fifth and hundredth date potential!! This movie just made my top 20 list for sure. Going out and buying it now.