Date released: May 7th, 1999
Date watched: June 20th, 2013
Why now? I feel like I’m seeing this movie everywhere these days. I see pictures of Rachel Weisz looking like Jane from the cartoon Tarzan and posts about how handsome Brendan Fraser used to be so my curiosity was peaked.
Why not then? Honesty time: I have seen this movie, but can’t for the life of me remember any of it. Must just be that memorable.
- Super handsome Fraser.
- Cheap rip-off of Indiana Jones with a weaker plot .
- Little bit of racism, little bit of sexism.
- Some good action topped with sweet one-liners (I love a good one-liner).
What I actually got:
- A cheap Indiana Jones rip-off.
- Horrible villain, horrible plot, too many characters for no reason and a terrible script.
- Little bit of sexism but a whole lot of racism! Ew.
- Fun old-timey costumes and set/props. I forgot this movie was set in some kind of olden times!
- Rachel Weisz’s character needs her own movie. At the beginning of this movie, she’s a smart, funny and fairly well-rounded character until she’s forced to be the damsel in distress in lingerie… sigh.
- Fraser is pretty darn handsome but man that’s about it. Whoever thought he’d be a good action star is an idiot.
- Not one good one-liner! What is a good action/adventure movie without the mandatory one-liners? This movie had tons of set-ups for some sweet “I want my mummy” jokes, but I got nothing!
- They really didn’t try to make the mummies look cool or scary. They were dancing skeletons pretty much with bad CG. And for the record, you can’t kick an undead mummy in the crotch.
One night in or second date potential: Well technically now I’ve seen this twice, but since it all looked new to me this time around, I say one nighter. It was only a little fun at the start and then just dissolved into a bland adventure story. Though, it did kind of make me want to see The Mummy Returns because of the Rock (duh) and it just looks like more fun![youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMwW-kzwltA]