BY ISA MONTAGNESE
Date Released: Apr 11th, 1997
Date Watched: May 15th, 2014
Why now? Director Doug Liman is around again with a new movie (Edge of Tomorrow) and his old “classic” Swingers is a movie I always heard about and never bothered to see.
Why not then? This movie was honestly never on my radar. It was an adult movie when I was young, and a silly 90s movie when I was older. I only knew this as the movie when Vince Vaughn was young and says “money” a lot.
- Vince Vaughn reminding us all that he used to be a serious stud
- A story about sleazy dudes doing sleazy things
- A whole lotta sleaze
- Gratuitous nudity
- 90s nostalgia driven fashion and music
What I actually got:
- “There’ll be hot babies there, baby”….. huh?
- This movie is actually pretty funny!
- Remember that time in the 90s when swing music was trendy again? Yah. I wonder what happened to all these retro swing bands/dancers from around then. And how did everyone just magically know how to jive?
- This movie reads like a manual on how to be a douche, and yet it’s also a manual on how to be a sad-sack
- If this is supposed to be a portrait of young actors full of beans in LA in the late 90s then it kind of succeeded but only because I can’t think of another movie in that category
- Why put Heather Graham on the poster when she’s barely in the movie!? I hate that!
One night-in stand or second date potential? One sad-sack night in for me. Jon Favreau is not a leading man, there was too little handsome Vince Vaughn, a weird gun scene and not enough Heather Graham. Sorry Swingers, it just didn’t do it for me.