BY CHASSITY MERRITT
Date Released: June 11, 2004
Date Watched: June 8, 2014
Why Now? After having heard about the movie (and having the film constantly quoted at me and referenced many times over the last ten years), I figured it was time to give it a chance. Especially after having developed a healthy appreciation for Jon Hader.
Why Not Then? My parents, who often indulged me in my film obsession over the past 10 or so years, ruined a lot of films for me growing up, by hyping them up tons before I had a chance to see them—to a degree that it made it impossible for me to actually enjoy them. I never got around to actually watching this one because after hearing so often how good it was, I felt like it would never live up to the hype. So I just skipped it altogether. I didn’t want it ruined for me like the classics from my childhood.
- A very hipster-friendly, faux-intellectual film
- Obscure humour that looked down on the type of people who weren’t in on the joke
- Stupid jokes that I wouldn’t “get”
- A lot of confusion
What I Actually Got:
- Charming Characters. I seriously fell in love with all of them, even the ones I wasn’t supposed to like
- One of the most simplistically funny films I’ve ever seen. I loved every second of it
- One of the things that made this film special was how incredibly awkward most of the characters were. But not awkward in an uncomfortable way, just in a fun way
- A few moments that could questionably be argued to be racial stereotypes. But that’s open to debate, and it may have been the point
- The most unique high school movie I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t just stupid comedy at all, and it didn’t seem to have a “point” except for once telling the story from the perspective of someone who wouldn’t seem to fit into any high school cliques/stereotypes. The scenes seem random and self-serving, but still add up to tell a great story without it having much of a story at all. And I mean all of this in a good way. It is really cool
One night-in stand, or second date potential? : Definitely second date potential. This film was so different from anything I’ve ever seen. It was entertaining, hilarious and had some sweet moments. I will definitely be adding this one to my list of movies to re-watch on my nights in.[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LHAlcrTRA]