In honour of Father’s Day, here’s a movie that both my dad and I both love, and the film that further bonded us because it led us to discover a shared love of silly comedies and the Frat Pack.
What’s it about: Depressed men going through a premature midlife crisis embrace their stunted youth caused by starting a fraternity, and as a result bond with some younger men and have to go through physical challenges to legitimize their fraternity.
Who’s in it: Vince Vaughn, Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell and Jeremy Piven
When it came out: 2003
How come you haven’t heard of (or seen) it: You may have been too young. A comedy this raunchy might have been one your parents wouldn’t have allowed you to see. Or, if you’re older, you may have missed it because it was sort of towards the beginning of the Frat Pack before everyone knew how funny they all were together. Also, back then (even more so than now) it was cool to think we were “above” such silly, raw, frat boy comedies and bromance films.
Why you need to watch it–immediately!
- The wedding singer at the beginning of the film was so subtly funny. Definitely a memorable appearance in my book
- To me, this was Vince Vaughn at his finest. I love him in everything he’s in, but I’ve never laughed more at anything he does than this. His delivery of every single line was stellar
- One word: “earmuffs”
- A small role from Simon Helberg, the guy you may have all come to love as The Big Bang Theory’s Howard Wolowitz
- Luke Wilson’s character is adorable, yet simultaneously questionaby insane for hanging out with these guys
- Yes, Will Ferrell, Blue is our boy, too
- An appearance from Sean William Scott, or, as we know him, “Stifler”
- This scene: [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFW-yxe13lo]
- “Spanish” is a beautiful piece of eye candy, ladies
- A look at the ridiculousness of fraternity hazing
- Jeremy Piven will make you hate him. He’s that good
- The love story is kind of sweet
- All in all, while I love The Royal Tenenbaums, this may be the best Frat Pack film of all. Dad would agree