No one, not even the sharp axe of premature cancellation, can kill Final Girls. Cinefilles is so happy to report that the previously announced series featuring a gang of horror-harried survivors is not dead yet at ABC Family, despite not getting picked up for the 2014-2015 season.
“[Final Girls] is still in development,” ABC Family president Tom Ascheim told Cinefilles during a one-on-one scrum at the 2014 Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour in Beverly Hills on Tuesday.
Ascheim didn’t seem to know much more about the status of the project, which was set to star and be produced by film’s most famous final girl and star of the Halloween series, Jamie Lee Curtis, and reunite her with Halloween: H20 director Steve Miner. But he did note that it’s very possible that the scream queen might not actually end up on screen if the show does.
“I think she got involved with something else,” Ascheim noted following a panel for new series Chasing Life. “I actually [don’t] know if she’s still attached.”
As huge fans of Curtis and her groundbreaking Halloween character Laurie Strode, we’re kinda cut up by this possible twist in the Final Girls legacy. But we’re also happy to hear that Ascheim is still intrigued by the series even without her involvement.
“It’s an interesting project,” he told Cinefilles on Tuesday.
Emily is covering the 2014 Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour live from the Beverly Hills Hilton from June 12 – 22. Tune in every day for new pieces and follow her tweets at @Cinefilles and @emilygagne.