Date Released: July 20, 1984
Date Watched: July 8, 2014
Why Now? It’s Revenge of the Nerds‘ 30th anniversary guys!
Why not then? I wasn’t born yet, and then it just never appealled to me. This movie is clearly not made with someone like me in mind.
- 1980s fashion bliss
- Fart jokes, penis jokes, boob jokes
- A story about how skinny smart dudes deserve to get laid too
- Really great one-liners from the inevitable jock bully character
- A movie about overcoming odds! (Not real life odds… movie odds)
What I actually got:
- The best collection of glasses ever
- A lot of classic 80s sexism which I’m sure was happily excused because they’re nerds, and they finally scored some chicks!
- What is with casual racism directed at East-Asian peeps in the 80s? Huh?
- Exactly what you’d expect from a movie that came out right during the John Hughes teen-dream 80’s wonder era, when every movie was an answer to the previous decade of heavy “adult” Oscar winners: cheaply made and catering to an audience who wanted to see fluff about nothing (apologies to the 80’s – the truth hurts)
- This movie is also an answer to all of the hugely popular 80’s action movies and action stars that ruled the box-office. Why can’t nerds just be loved too?!
- The nerds get laid!! Who would have guessed!
One night stand or second date potential? No, no, no. I will never see this movie again, I don’t care for it at all. Too 80s, too silly, too blah. But I get it, people love it. It’s fun and it’s so “of its time,” and the underdogs win!