What’s it about: The most effed up couple of all time. Our main heroes are travelling serial killers bonded because they’re outsiders with messed up pasts. They eventually become famous anti-heroes while chaos sticks to them like Juliette Lewis’ bad wig.
Who’s in it: Juliette Lewis, Woody Harrelson, Robert Downey Jr. (with an accent!!), and Tommy Lee Jones.
How come you haven’t heard of (or just seen) it: If you’re a nerd about Tarantino facts then you’ll have heard about that movie that Tarantino wrote and then was re-written and directed by someone else–well that’s this messed up movie! Oliver Stone took this story over and made it into the weird, disgusting, painfully-long movie it is. It’s an acquired taste which might be why you haven’t seen it.
Why you need to watch it immediately:
- Juliette Lewis. That is all
- This is the oddest collection of styles, music, characters, plot lines and swears ever
- Rodney Dangerfield in the oddest role that actually suites him really well
- This movie was in that time when all the cool movies were about drug culture, counter culture, anti-heroes and the evil of “the man”. I’m sure Oliver Stone was patting himself on the back for this one, but to his credit, this movie does epitomize that anti-authority mini-movement of the mid-nineties
- This one is also what ADD looks like through the eyes of someone’s grandpa. The colour changes, the music changes, the handheld camera work, the noise and the millions of characters–it’s a grandparent’s nightmare
- This story still belongs to Tarantino so if you’re a fan, it’s worth a watch!
- Can we just talk about how handsome Woody Harrelson is?